Blog Niche: How to Pick A Blog Niche In Nigeria?
Blog is one of the popular platforms in Nigeria you can use to start a profitable niche business if you choose the right topic. If you are looking for ideas for your blog business in Nigeria? You are in the right place, look no further.
There are many Blog Niches to pick a topic for your blog business. From lifestyle blog to technology blog, sport, fashion and entertainment blog e.t.c.
In this article, you’ll learn how you can pick a profitable topic for your business niche that will make you money and establish authority in your blog business. Blog business is a profitable business that anyone can start even without knowing coding skill.
But before we go on how to pick a topic for your business niche, let’s take a look at what a niche is.
What Is A Blog Niche?
A blog niche is another word for the topic of your blog business.
A blog niche is a specialized or focused area of a broader market that you can categorize in some way. Sport, cooking, tech and Fashion are broad industries, and not what we are looking for.
What specific subcategories of people can you think of in each of those industries? Here are some example of business niche:
- Fitness gadget and wearable (people looking for this type of technology)
- Weight loss for women over 50
- Best mobile gaming for Android and IOS
See how each of those submarkets targets a much specific audience?
Please don’t stress about whether or not your niche will make money. It will.
Learn how to start a blog and make money in Nigeria
Any website with traffic can make money!. Keep that in mind.
Why Do We Need A Niche?
Why not create an “Everything about technology website instead of targeting something more specific for your blog? You can’t can’t compete with the big sites. They have lots of content and budgets to hire web developers, writers, and social media managers.
We pick a niche so that we can focus on a specific topic, become an expert and build authority on our blog niche. Knowing a lot about one thing is better than knowing a little bit about everything. By becoming an expert, or trusted source of information, people will buy stuff from or through our website based on recommendations.
Another reason why you need a niche is that you will have less competition. You are starting from scratch here, with nothing on your website. You’ll also be doing all the work yourself. How can you expect to compete with a website that’s been around for years and has a lot of articles plus loyal followers? You can’t.
So we target a very small audience to make our job more manageable. The specific blog niche articles we write make it easier to rank in search engines, and build traffic slowly over time. Once we start gaining traffic from those low competition articles, we can begin to expand into broader topics.
Also picking a specific business niche will make us focus on a specific group of people and know who we are talking to.
How targeted you get depends on your level of interest or expertise in a topic, as well as how big of project you want to take on. It’s also nice to leave yourself some room for growth.
Common Mistakes Most Blogger Make When Picking A Blog Niche
There are a few common niche mistakes most bloggers make when picking a topic. Here are two concepts to understand and avoid.
- Most bloggers’ mistake is that they choose a niche that they don’t have passion and knowledge about.
- Another common mistakes bloggers do is that they start niche blog without an idea how they will make money
- They pick a single product without a niche to back it up.
- They blog about everything rather than breaking down a broad niche and pick a sub-niche
The last thing you want to do is pick the wrong one and waste a lot of time.
How To Pick A Niche For Your Blog Business?
1. Know Your Target Audience
To identify your niche, you can begin by selecting the general market. Focus on an area where you are knowledgeable, and then identify subtopics within that.
2. Define Your Relevance Within Your Blog Niche
Relevancy is a lot more focused than popularity. Relevancy has everything to do with your specific audience. What are they interested in? You just don’t want to blog anything that comes to mind without putting the interest of your audience at heart. What problems are they facing? Provide solutions to their needs. Trying to be relevant without defining your audience is like going to the stream with a basket to fetch water.
To be relevant, you need to;
- Focus on your blog niche. The more specific you are in your topics, the better you’ll be able to define and develop relevance.
- Focus on the objective for your blog niche. What is the goal? You need to define relevance in relationship with your objectives. Objectives are the stepping stone which guide you to achieving your goals.
- Relevance means focus on the solutions to the problems. What Use is it if the content on your blog is of no importance to your audience. Relevant content starts with needs and develops solutions.
3. Spy From Other Blogs
If you want to pick topics for your blog, go to the blogs that are already doing it and see how they are doing it and follow their example. Don’t copy the content. Use it as an inspiration to start your own.
Here is a summary of how you can pick a profitable blog topics
- Pick a blog niche that you’re passionate and knowledgeable about with products that you can sell to make money.
- Choose topics that are relevant to your audience.
- Do keyword research. Use tools like Yoast SEO and SEMrush to know what your target audience looking for.